
New favorite place to play... Unfortunately, most of the toys must come out before Luke goes in!
Here's the latest from Greenville:
Luke and I went to the post office a fews days ago as part of our weekly errands. The same postal worker that we always see behind the desk greeted us with his standard: "We don't mail kids here." After chuckling and smiling at this joke (which we hear every time we go into the post office and encounter this particular clerk), Luke and I proceeded with our transaction. I assumed the well-established mother-of-a-toddler position of: 30 lb. child in one arm, open diaper bag haphazardly slung over the other shoulder, keys dangling from my pocket, sunglasses perched on head, now-where-is-my credit card, if only I had one hand free to pick up the pen and this receipt.... while trying to make polite conversation with the postal employee. He then asked Luke, "What's your name, buddy?" and I answered for my 16-month old with limited vocabulary, "His name is Luke." At this point, the postal worker assumed a deep, guttural voice and growled, "Luke, I am your father.... May the force be with you!" The man chuckled at this witty statement, for surely, he must be the first person to (incorrectly) assume that we named our child after a Star Wars character. In fact, every parent spends hours, days, and weeks poring over baby name books, scrutinizing hundreds of names, analyzing every possible combination of initials, just to have a stranger sum it all up in one, thoughtful moment. Luckily, Luke was in a cooperative mood and just stared at the Darth Vader/Hans Solo impersonator, instead of melting down. Sometimes we love our daily errands. You just never know what you're going to see and hear around town!
5 comments:
Carrie, you are too funny!! That is so true.....Olivia, Sophia and I have had our moments;) Loved the picture with Luke in the toy chest!! Should it be any other way??????:) Kiss him for me:) Love, Kristin
This entry so reminds me of Cheryl's encounters with Walmart shoppers and checkers! WHAT are people thinking? They are trying to be funny but sometimes their efforts fall a bit flat! Darth Vader, oh my! Love, Gammie Davies
Not as bad as everyone calling your child a boy...even when you have HER in pink dresses! :o)
Well, if the Post Office does have to cut back on working days, at least this guy can find extra work at a comedy club! Adds new meaning to "going postal"! Love, Grams (hope that doesn't make me Darth Vader's Mom!)
Carrie - you crack me up! I love your writing and although Nuala is not a toddler, you sum up how I feel at practically every errand we run! I just read this aloud to Maryalice and we are both rolling over here. You are hilarious!
Post a Comment