Friday, January 8, 2010

Bits and Pieces

The first full week of the new year has ended and it is bitterly cold for South Carolina. Despite resuming our regularly scheduled activities, we are trying to stay indoors and avoid being outside as much as possible. This is an interesting challenge with an active toddler who has a lot of pent-up energy. Upon the recommendation of a friend, today I resorted to bringing Luke's Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Car inside the house (usually an outdoor-only toy) and it provided hours of entertainment. I think Luke felt like he was getting away with something by riding around in his car through the kitchen, but I was pleased to remain warm and snug at home in my pajamas all day and have a happily entertained child. We hosted Play Group at our house this week and the kids literally ran laps around our first floor for almost 2 1/2 hours. Can you tell that we are all getting a bit of cabin fever down here in the south (and it's only January 8th!)?


The 4 friends attempt an escape to warmer weather!

In other news, the word of the month is CLIMBING. Luke climbs on everything now. He can climb the stairs independently (although this makes me very nervous), climbs up onto our bed and jumps on it, tries to climb into his crib (he hasn't figured out how to climb OUT yet, but we received a convertible-toddler bed rail for Christmas and I have it just waiting for the first time that we find Luke on the floor after falling out of the crib). This week he climbed onto the breakfast room table, stood on it, and said, "Hi, Mommy" in a very winsome, adorable voice as I looked up from preparing dinner in the kitchen and found him eye-level with me. Here's a photo of Prisoner 42008 scaling the gate and attempting a jailbreak this week. I realize he looks like a total redneck baby without a shirt on, but it's difficult to keep inmates dressed sometimes.



Meanwhile, Mark has been busily teaching Luke some kind of secret handshake that involves fist-bumps, complex moves, and lots of high fives. I caught a quick video of this man-bonding below:



And lastly, another shirtless video (I know, ladies, that is one hot bod!) of Luke at dinner the other night, showing off a new trick. That little kid sure makes us laugh sometimes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just love the fish face AND the man bonding! We feel we know Luke-what a blessing blogs are! Love, Gammie and Pop Pop Davies

Anonymous said...

Carrie, Mark and Luke, I just love reading your blog. I remember having little ones running around and the comments you make and the stories you tell bring back such wonderful memories and make me chuckle. Your little man is so adorable and so cute. Thank you for sharing his growing up with all of us. It's a wonderful way of knowing him and keeping in touch with you. Love Char and Tim

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I'm getting lots of sympathy and admiration for surviving Albany winters with my own little playgroup of 4! Love, Bean

The Libutti Family said...

Love the update!! And dare I ask what "freezing cold" means to people of SC? Please tell me it's colder than, like, 40 degrees outside. Because it was 5 degrees here this morning. ;)
Love, Cheryl

The Davies Family said...

Eyes off, ladies, he's mine
-Kate Davies