"Hello, Mommy," my son said as he smirked at me. I stared at Luke, incredulous that he had climbed out of his crib for the first time, so effortlessly, and obviously so proud of himself. I hoped this was an isolated event, until the next morning, when Mark and I watched in the video monitor as Luke woke up, immediately hoisted his legs over the edge of the crib, and lowered himself to the floor.
"GOOD MORNING, MOMMY!" Luke shouted from the upstairs catwalk, as I scrambled out of my own bed downstairs. "BABOO CLIMB OUT OF CRIB!"
Not quite ready to transition Luke to the toddler bed and undergo all of the sleep retraining that is involved with this change, Mark and I have assumed the tactic of manipulation ever since. For the past week and a half, we have repeated to Luke: "Don't climb out of the crib. You don't want to hurt your knees, do you?"
Skinned knees are one of the biggest current dramas in Luke's life. He is constantly falling on the sidewalk, scraping his knees, and is absolutely traumatized by the slightest injury. He closely examines his body for microscopic boo-boos, asking, "Mommy, kiss it and make it better." and needing Elmo band-aids for "healing":

So far, our current strategy seems to be working. Luke still initiates climbing out of the crib, but stops halfway over the edge, and whines, "Be careful- No hurt knees!" This gives us enough time to dart into his room and intercept our little climber before he escapes. I know, there are so many examples of great parenting in this post (safety, verbally tricking our child, etc), but we are just trying to stay one step ahead of the drama.

And overall, Luke is a very sweet, well-behaved, happy child. We're 2 months in, and the "Terrible Twos" really aren't bad at all, but I may be jinxing myself by speaking too soon. Here's a picture of our family before going to church this morning. As you can see, someone has perfected the look of an extremely innocent and charming little man:
3 comments:
I am sorry, Mark and Carrie, you can't be writing about the Luke I know! My grandson would never do those things....he is a perfect gentleman!
Love, Poppy
Gotta love the 2's....just wait until 3...they think they own everything.....it's cute actually!! I was wondering when he would climb out of that crib....so glad he's still sleeping in there. Kiss that sweet boy for us!!XOXO
We finally had to set the boundary of no bandaids unless there is visible blood. The inspections for boo-boos go on in our house as well.
Good luck with your climber... I love how he announces himself! Too cute!
Love, Cheryl
Post a Comment