In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there."
Today, I found Luke hanging his socks on the Christmas tree. I'm not sure where he got this idea, but he happily entertained himself for 10 minutes, placing the socks on a branch, taking them off, and repeating this process over and over again. It made me smile, and reflect upon what must go on inside that busy 2 1/2 year-old little head.
The pair of socks is still hanging where Luke last left them, adding a unique touch to our tree, along with our other ornaments:
Luke is obsessed with our Christmas tree this year. When anyone asks him about it, he says, "I put the star way up high on the tree. I climbed a ladder!" I have to shake my head in the background, assuring each adult that this is Luke's vivid imagination, and in fact, we did NOT allow him to climb a ladder to place the star on top of the tree. Luke did have control of decorating the bottom 1/3 of our tree, with mostly non-breakable ornaments, and has participated in the entire process of searching for the perfect tree, admiring it, and decorating it.
Luke hangs his special ornament this year (Elmo holding a choo-choo train = 2 of Luke's favorite things!)
Taking his job of decorating very seriously... We got our Christmas tree this weekend, and it was in the house for all of 30 seconds when Luke decided to deliberately push it over, to see what would happen. I was across the room, and heard Mark shout loudly, "NO, BUDDY!", just as I saw the tree come crashing down into the mantle and our tv, knocking over stockings, garland, etc. Luckily, we were able to salvage the moment, decorations, and our television (with no injuries to report), but "Christmas" began with a bang, and Luke now says, "I pushed the tree and Daddy yelled." Happy times... So, we've since established some "rules" which include no pushing the tree, no walking around the tree, etc.
Daddy helps "supervise" the decorating process...
Luke also loves to impersonate Santa Claus, and lowers his voice when we ask him what Ho Ho says. Click here for a video of Luke wishing everyone a merry Christmas in his best Ho Ho voice.
And just for our blog followers, a preview of the theme of our Christmas card this year:
Luke insisted on wearing a hat ("like Ho Ho!") once he saw Winnie decked out in her Santa outfit, and then he asked for a mustache. You may wonder why we had one lying around, but it was in a box of Christmas decorations, and provided just the right comical tone for our kids' annual pose in front of the tree.
3 comments:
Dear Mark and Carrie,
I'm glad Sprout has given you this pre-Christmas time with Luke....these memories are TOO adorable and precious: socks on the tree(!), the basso profundo "Ho, ho, ho", and that classy mustache! We'll be laughing for days! Love, Bean
I don't know WHAT was my favorite part of this post-the image of the tree going down, the video of Luke playing Santa, Luke's mustache, or Winnie's garb!!! Adorable! You are creating such wonderful traditions and memories for you all AND Sprout next year! Love, Gammie and Pop Pop Davies
Tell Luke that Grandpa's socks need to go on the tree too and they will be there soon!!!
Post a Comment