Saturday, June 2, 2012

Signs of Summer


Oh, how I love this time of year!  Summer is here, and we are enjoying all that is has to offer.  We are relishing the suburban sounds of lawnmowers and the smell of freshly cut grass through our open windows today, admiring colorful potted annuals on front steps, and basking in warm sunny days followed by beautiful breezy evenings.  My hydrangeas are in full bloom, and our garden is thriving.  This morning, I pinched basil from our plant to make fresh pesto for tonight's dinner and picked a bowlful of raspberries from the bush in our backyard.  Ahh, delicious!   



The children and I visit our Farmer's Market weekly this time of year, and we've bought basketfuls of plump, juicy strawberries over the past month.  I made freezer jam, strawberry shortcake, and the kids love eating them whole, juice dribbling down their chins.  South Carolina peaches are now ripe and ready, and we can't get enough of these treats, either!  Somehow knowing that the season is so short makes devouring those delectable fruits even more fun.  I bought a half dozen ears of corn on the cob last week, sure that I'd have some left over to cut and save.  Mark and I each managed to take a few bites before the corn disappeared.  Apparently, our 2 little gremlins have a new favorite summer veggie!

We like to soak in summer in SC a little early, for it feels too oppressively hot in August to do anything here, and by then, our pool feels like bathwater!  But right now, it's absolutely perfect, and we are fortunate to be able to walk to our neighborhood pool whenever we are in the mood for a quick dip.  Luke and Leah are like two little fish in the water, swimming with Daddy.  Here are a few pictures from the past week:   








Luke's favorite pool activity is jumping in, over and over, which he calls his "cannonballs":




Such a happy little swimmer!


Leah likes to lounge in her stroller with snacks and her shades:



She also loves posing with her Daddy for a picture or two:



Someone has also discovered that pool toys can be lots of fun!



Miss Blue Eyes doesn't like to have Daddy far from her reach, however!


Welcome, Summer!!

2 comments:

David said...

What cutie pies. Miss you all. Love Grandpa

Anonymous said...

What a glorious testimony to the joys of summer...you make me forget the humidity, mosquitoes, goopy sunscreen, ticks and sweat! Here's to rasberries, hydrangeas, corn-on-the-cob, floppy hats, sunglasses and cannonballs!!! Love, Bean