Sunday, March 2, 2014

Weekend Getaway

 
Last weekend, we drove to Bean and Poppy's house, and were thrilled that our trip now takes less than 4 hours (vs. almost 7!).  Our new, shorter drive was a breeze!  Mark and I realized that our middle of the night departures may officially be a thing of the past, and we high fived at that happy thought.    The kids did lots of their favorite Williamsburg activities while we were there, including taking a ride on the city bus, visiting the jellybean store, and playing with many of B&P's toys and in the sand table.  Mark and I had a chance to shop, rest, and recharge while Bean and Poppy took the children on several outings, which was wonderful.   
 
One of the children's excursions with their grandparents was to feed the ducks.  We used to take Luke to do this often when he was a toddler, and realized that Leah may never have gone to see the Williamsburg ducks-  Poor second child!  Apparently she had no fear, and walked right up to each one, talking to them and handing out pieces of bread:
 
 
 
The kids also went to Yorktown and learned a little about life in colonial times:
 

Leah doing "laundry".

The kids couldn't resist posing with George Washington, and Leah even dared to get her picture taken with a "Redcoat":
 

 

A cute Leah story from this week:  Bean and Poppy taught Luke and Leah some basic Revolutionary War history during their Yorktown visit.  We had no idea that Leah absorbed so much of the lesson until this week, when we were back home in NC.  We were getting ready to run some errands, and Leah told Winnie, "You look out for the Redcoats while we're gone and put them in jail if you see them!"

I giggled, and asked Leah what she meant.  She looked exasperated with me and began to give me a detailed story about "soldiers hiding in the woods... and the Redcoats were captured and defeated  during the fight..."

I was amazed at what that barely 3-year old brain processed and remembered from her Yorktown visit, and decided that I needed to brush up on my history soon, so that I can keep up with my toddler. 

The kids also soaked in lots of fresh air and sunshine during our Williamsburg visit.  Below are a couple of my favorite photos of them playing outside.  Thank you, Bean and Poppy, for a wonderful weekend!


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just what the doctor ordered for everyone! Even the weather looked heavenly! I am so happy that you are closer to Bean and Poppy and I predict many happy times together to come! Love, Gammie Davies

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun we had! Nothing like lovely weather and dear kiddos to make a wonderful weekend! Love, Bean