There have been lots of fun things happening in kindergarten this month, so I thought I'd share some of the adorable recent KinderNews:
I sent Luke to school in a blue striped shirt last Monday and was confused when I couldn't spot my child in carpool line that afternoon. I realized that Luke had changed outfits and was further disguised by a hat and sunglasses. It was "Slip, Slop, Slap" day in kindergarten, which is a skin cancer prevention program (and receives applause from this Mama!). The children were instructed to slip into a shirt, slop on sunscreen, and slap on a hat anytime they were going to be in the sun. Afterward, Luke (whose nickname in our family is "Captain Literal") was full of educational tidbits, and located every bottle of sunscreen that we own to make sure that the SPF was high enough ("It has to be 30+, Mommy!"). He was also very concerned that we should apply sunscreen EXACTLY 30 minutes before going outdoors, per the instructor's recommendations. Trying to explain to a 6 year-old that there is a gray area with many things in life (and not solely black and white) is interesting at times. Captain Literal wore his sun protective gear for the rest of the day, which was very cute (even though I assured him that no UV rays were penetrating the inside of the apartment):
The best part was that later that night when I checked on my sleeping son and found this:
![]() |
| Sun-Protected even during slumber! |
Luke has also gone on a couple of class field trips lately, and he eagerly anticipated the bus ride as the highlight. After his first field trip, I asked him how it was, and he replied, "Well, I got kind of bus sick". I asked for further details, unsure if he had overheard this term from a classmate. Luke responded, "My tummy felt all swirly... like I was going to throw up." Oh, boy! This makes next year's transportation to school very interesting, as we have all been looking forward to Luke riding the bus from our new house to his school in the fall. We'll see!
This picture accurately depicts how we spend every single afternoon lately. This kindergartener is addicted to Monopoly Junior, which he received for his birthday. I have YET to beat him, and we've played dozens of games. Luckily Leah doesn't mind being the banker and it's fun to see how far we've come with board games in the past year:
And lastly, the kindergarteners participated in a "Mile Run" today as part of P.E. at school. We've been "training" for weeks, ever since Luke reported that he was expected to run the mile in under ten minutes. Mark and I were flabbergasted at this expectation for 5 and 6 year olds! However, I learned the true story at the mile run today: The P.E. teacher initially set his stop watch for 10 minutes and has been gradually increasing the amount of time each week to increase the children's endurance. The goal was for the students to complete as many laps as they could in a 20 minute period by race day, and made me chuckle at the story that Luke told us. It was a cute event, and we were proud of our little racer:
![]() |
| Coach Layton (and Leah) giving the kids a pre-race pep talk. |
![]() |
| Stretching before the Mile Run. |
![]() |
| At the starting line. |
Leah cheered for her brother and ran along beside him for some of the race:
![]() |
| Go, Bubba, Go! |
Here's a cute video of my two little runners:
Congratulations to the entire class of Kindergarteners for completing their Mile Run today!









2 comments:
Well, you never know about that moon's UV rays......adorable! Loved seeing about Monopoly (better you than me!) and the Mile Run (better Luke than me!) Love, Bean
Just love the nickname "Captain Literal"-I think a lot of kids are like that. SO cute that Leah also ran with her bro. Did not know there was a monopoly jr. We play Princess Monopoly which is also fun. Love, Gammie Davies
Post a Comment