There's no doubt about it: Our children are turning into country kids! Recently, Leah actually used the words, "I reckon" in a sentence, which caused me to immediately call Mark at work and tell him that we needed to schedule a trip north ASAP! All joking aside, we absolutely love what I have dubbed the "cute country" that makes up our new town. Oak Ridge is very quaint and has rural roots, and there are still many working farms in the area. In fact, this is the view from our house each morning: Yes, those are cows behind our next door neighbor's back yard:
![]() |
| Can you spy the 3 cows on the right side of the photo? |
We've also visited our local Farmer's Market, where we discovered that Leah was fascinated by the live country music that was being played:
The musician even let our little country girl strum the guitar, which made her day!:
Another of our favorite places in our town is the old mill, which has been in use since Revolutionary War times and still produces stone ground meal, flour, and corn. Yep, definitely qualifies as "cute country" in our book:
Now that we live in the country, Mommy decided that we need a "cute" riding mower to cut our larger lawn (or "piece of land" as we call it out here). The kids and I picked out the perfect one for Mark for Father's Day:
But alas, we decided on a more practical, functional mower instead, and both Luke and Leah have enjoyed helping Daddy use his new gift:
One of the perks of living in a small rural town is that you may have your own private roller coaster at RidgeFest, Oak Ridge's annual festival. We arrived early on Friday, and the kids spent the evening riding rides and playing games before the later crowds arrived:
Part of RidgeFest included a 5K that went right past our house last weekend. Mark and I were happy to be spectators (and not participants!) and our family had front row seats to cheer on the runners:

















3 comments:
Oh,Ma'am, I reckon ya'll get plum
tuckered out with all ya fixin to do
each day!
Bean and I better brush up on our
"country" before you visit!
You make me laugh out loud, Carrie! I especially loved the part about Leah's wedding reception!!! I am sure Mark was busily processing what to say to THAT! I am so pleased you are enjoying your new "cute country" digs! Love from Gammie Davies
Beautiful pictures!!! Carrie I just wanted to tell you I blew up your old mill picture and made it into an 8x10 to hang on my wall. It reminded me so much of Littlehouse, and my house is very country themed....hope you don't mind!!!💜💜💜
Post a Comment