Friday, July 18, 2014

Camp Tales

 
Luke attended soccer camp this week, which was held exactly one minute away from our house at his future elementary school.  This camp was sponsored by a group called UK Elite, and all of the coaches are from the United Kingdom.  I was amused and entertained by their vernacular, and their regular uses of the terms "rubbish", "carry on," and "Cheers!"  However, most of the five and six year olds (including Luke) looked at the coaches blankly on the first day when asked, "How are you, lads?" in cheerful English accents... and I wasn't sure how much comprehension was actually going to occur.  However, the camp turned out to be fantastic, and we were thankful for cooler days for the second half of the week, as the kids were wiped out after playing for three hours on Monday morning (the hottest day of the year so far!).  
 
 
 
As mentioned in my previous blog post, several weeks ago Luke also attended basketball camp for 3 mornings, which was held at our local high school.  This was his first formal introduction to the sport of basketball, and he went with his best buddy from kindergarten.  There was a concession stand and parents were encouraged to bring cash to deposit into their child's account for the week.  I took $5, and explained to Luke that this amount should last for all three days.  I also packed him a fig bar (Luke's choosing) and an applesauce just in case.  When I picked up Luke after Day 1, he announced that he needed more money in his account.  I asked him why, and he carefully explained:
 
"Well, there were 3 snack breaks, and I bought something each time..." 
 
1. A 32-ounce Gatorade
2.  A king-sized Kit Kat (yes, with FOUR full sized candy bars inside)
3.  A foot-long sour patch candy
 
I almost died.  This is the same kid who told the coach during the t-ball season that he wasn't allowed to have Gatorade, as it was being passed to all of the players after a practice.  I guess when at camp, the rules are different.  Luke's fig bar and applesauce remained untouched of course, and I asked him if his tummy hurt after all those sweets.  He said no, and then we had a discussion about moderation and set a new limit of one concession stand snack per day.  He had a great time, learned skills, and when we asked him at the end of the week what the best part of basketball camp was, he immediately answered, "The snacks."
 
Of course. 
 Basketball Camp 2014 is now referred to as "Snack Camp" in our house.
 
So, this week, in preparation for soccer camp (where all snacks are brought from home), I hesitated when I asked Luke what he wanted in his bag.  And without missing a beat, that dear sweet boy said, "A fig bar and applesauce, Mommy."
 
And he ate every last bite.
 
Love that kid!

No comments: