Sunday, August 3, 2014

Dinosaur Land

 
The kids and I took a road trip to Pennsylvania this week, and one of our stops along the way was Dinosaur Land in central Virginia.  Dinosaurs are a VERY big deal in our house, and this roadside attraction has been on our to-do list for awhile.  Dinosaur Land is an educational, prehistoric forest which features over 50 different dinosaur species.  I wasn't sure how kitschy Dinosaur Land would be, but it turned out to be very well done, with informational signs and life size replicas spread out over a large area.  It was a perfect place to stretch and get our wiggles out, and much more exciting for our little dinosaur lovers than a plain ol' rest area!  Here are some pictures of our favorite displays:
 
T-Rex being attacked.  They loved this one!
This one was titled "Epic Battle".  These kiddos were completely unfazed by the gory blood and fighting, and actually exclaimed, "AWESOME!":
   
 
Stretching like the brachiosaurus. 

"Scary Dinosaur Faces". 
Hanging with a friendly herbivore.
 
 I think I have discovered the secret to having my children smile for the camera:  Just pose them beside dinosaurs.  I couldn't take photos fast enough with all the requests of "Mommy, take my picture with this one.... and this one..."
 
 
This one makes me laugh.  Sweet, girly Leah is practically hugging this dino, showing off her sweetest smile:
 
 
Can you tell that someone has a big brother, and that dinosaurs have been a big part of her early childhood?

I think they are holding hands here?!
 
In typical Luke fashion, our curious man read every sign, comparing sizes, prehistoric eras, and facts about each species.  He spent much of the remaining car ride quizzing Leah and me about these details: 
Stegosaurus:  Mommy's favorite!
 
This little boy has loved dinosaurs for a long time!
 
Baby triceratops.

Dinosaur Land proved to be a big hit, and a perfect stop for us on our way to our week of fun in PA!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun place! And it doesn't look like there are many other people there.....guess there WEREN'T too many humans when dinosaurs roamed the earth! Carrie, you can find wonderful kid-friendly places even when you're on the road! Love, Bean

Anonymous said...

I think I would like that place, too! Too bad it is too far to take Alec and Luke-they would love it, too! I agree with Bean-you find the BEST places! Love from Gammie Davies