Sunday, November 27, 2016

Tooth Tales


So, this has been our situation for the past couple of months.  My baby has her first loose tooth, which was expedited by a fall from the monkey bars at recess and a subsequent face plant into the mulch.  A bloodied mouth and a fat lip resulted in a tearful phone call home to Mommy after this accident..and of course, this was the one time that my cell phone was on silent and I missed the call!

Apparently, the school nurse called Luke out of class to come down to the office to console Leah, and after a conversation with big brother, Peanut was comforted and able to return to class.  My heart almost burst when I called school shortly after listening to my missed voicemail from them, and the office staff told me, "Mrs. Winterhoff, your son was SO sweet with your daughter that he had us in tears with his tender, loving words to her..."   WHAT?!  I mean, yes, of course, that happens all the time... they are always kind and loving to each other, etc.  HA! 

Anyway, we made an emergency trip to the pediatric dentist who took this x-ray, assured me that there was no root damage, and informed us that even if Leah hadn't knocked her baby tooth loose, it was not going to be long at all before she lost it.  Sigh.  

So, I did what any Mommy who dreads this milestone does.  I did not encourage Leah to wiggle that tooth at all.  I just buried my head in the sand until Leah announced, "Mommy, my grown up tooth is growing in BEHIND my baby tooth!".  Ok, maybe it was time for me to let go of that tiny, perfect part of my daughter's childhood.  That bottom tooth became more and more loose, and then, last Friday, someone yanked her own tooth out at school and proudly showed it to me when I walked into the classroom that day.




Clearly, that tooth was ready to come out!

 The Tooth Fairy came and brought Leah $2 (despite Luke's best attempts to tell us that he was sure that he only received $1 for his first tooth).  Leah was thrilled, and we were happy to shower her with well deserved love and attention for such an important occasion.  Hooray for Peanut, for handling this momentous milestone with such enthusiasm and grace! 

No comments: