Thursday, September 27, 2018

Sports Lessons


Over the past couple of months, we've had the opportunity to participate in some really cool sports activities, which are not only fun, but have provided some valuable lessons.  L&L renewed their Junior Deacon Club memberships, which means that they are able to be VIPs at many Wake Forest sporting events, and we kicked off the fall sports season with a WFU Women's soccer game.  Leah had a front row seat right beside the Deacon, and absolutely loved watching the collegiate soccer players compete:

During halftime, the Junior Deacon Club was invited to go onto the field to kick the ball.  L&L are on the left side of the photo, and had a blast playing in their scrimmage:

Leah has been playing soccer since she was 4, and loves the sport.  It was neat for her to be able to watch the older girls play and see how hard work and dedication to a sport pays off.  The WFU team won in overtime, and after the game, the players autographed a team poster for Leah.  Peanut was in awe of these "celebrities", and they were equally smitten with their cute little fan: 

I also had the chance to be a Wake Forest VIP when I attended WFU Women's Football Camp this summer with a few friends:
These women are in our Life Group at church, and I am so thankful to do "life" with these amazing mamas!
When we signed up for Football Camp, our husbands and kiddos were amused (and possibly incredulous) about our decision to participate.   I was a little apprehensive before attending, especially when Mark found a YouTube video of last year's football camp, which showed women barreling into large tackling dummies and grunting during difficult drills on the field.  However, this night was awesome, and extremely well done.  Dave Clawson, the head WFU football coach, led the camp, along with many of the players, and they were supportive and encouraging to the 200+ women in attendance.  We all donned WFU jerseys and eye black, learned several offensive and defensive plays, participated in skills sessions, and executed a few of our newly-learned plays on the field.  None of this is anything that I would have done on my own, and football/sports lover are not words that describe my personality, but I loved it all.  For the record, I would like to have in writing that I scored TWO touchdowns and we had the BEST evening, with many giggles, a few squeals, and so much fun.  (I admit that the hors d'oeuvres and wine that were served afterward in the swanky field house reception room were a big motivator).  It was such a great evening, and a wonderful lesson in stretching our comfort zone.  We challenged ourselves as we shared this adventure together, and accomplished more than we thought possible, which is a good lesson to remind ourselves of at any age:

The kids also were recently invited to a one-day clinic at Chris Paul's CP3 Basketball Academy, and were excited about meeting this former WFU player, current NBA star, and Olympic athlete.  Chris Paul grew up in Winston-Salem, and does a lot to give back to the community. He established his own foundation which provides leadership opportunities, life skills, and basketball training/education for youth.     

Chris Paul talking to the kids.  
The event was open to kids from ages 7-17, so Leah was one of the youngest participants (and one of only a handful of girls).  Both kids worked hard and I was very proud of their perseverance as they rotated through each station and were coached by the Skills Developers.  Leah amazed us as she eliminated many of the boys during a "Knock Out" competition, and then endured the heckling and jeers from several of the kids that she beat.  The coaches handled this learning opportunity appropriately, but it was one of the first times that Leah has been singled out for being a girl, and my mama instinct was to comfort her and make sure that her feelings weren't hurt.  However, our fierce, brave girl completely ignored the negative comments and continued to show exemplary sportsmanship.  She later commented, "Those boys were just jealous that I was better than them...".   This sweet girl is so full of courage and grace, and constantly reminds me that she's truly one of a kind!  


We're so thankful for all of these sports opportunities and the life lessons that they teach ALL of us.  Since we're in the middle of WFU football season now, you can find us on Deacon Hill most Saturdays, cheering on our beloved team and soaking in this great family time together! 

P.S.  I came home from Football Camp and proudly announced, "I learned that those white marks on the field are called hashtags!".    I think I lost all credibility with my family as they all groaned and replied, "No, Mama, they are hashmarks.  Hashtags are used for Twitter."  (We won't comment on how I am too old and uncool to know how to use Twitter either...😉).  Maybe this was my lesson that pride goeth before the fall, at least in terms of my football knowledge.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DEAR Carrie,
You've captured so well why we love sports....there's a lot more to it than balls and uniforms! Another lesson you personify: being open to new experiences and willing to find new interests....even if they DON'T involve wine and hors d'oeuvres! "Hashtags", "hashmarks": you say potatoes, I say potahtoes! Love, Bean
PS Leah truly IS one of a kind!