Sunday, September 1, 2019

Back to School!


Monday was the first day of 3rd and 6th grades for these awesome kiddos!  Usually by the end of August, I'm ready for everyone to head back to school and structured routines.  However, this year, I could have easily enjoyed another month at home with the kids.  We had the BEST summer together!  The kids are easy at the pool, are great travel companions, and still enjoy the simple pleasures of summer: water balloons, sprinklers, and bike rides.

Beanie came to visit us the week before school started, and we took her miniature golfing and to the pool.  She and the kids also prepared a special anniversary dinner to celebrate 16 years of marriage for Mark & me on August 23:




Sweet 16!
This picture completely captures life right now.  We raced home from attending/volunteering at Open House at school (Mark is still in his work clothes and I am rocking my Oak Ridge PTO shirt), and the kids handed us wine and a homemade sign 😂:

The weekend before school started also included a baseball game with our dear friends.  Our Life Group bid adieu to summer with a great evening at the ballpark.  We pray that these special children have a wonderful start to their school year and we had a Back to School Blessing at church on Sunday for the kiddos in our congregation:



How deeply we love these precious gifts from God!


Starting this year, L&L will not be at the same school again until Luke's senior year of high school (when Leah is a freshman), and this has been a hard back-to-school realization for me.  No longer are they both safely ensconced in our sweet Oak Ridge Elementary School bubble, hopping on the bus together and having the same daily schedule.  Now that Luke is a middle schooler, he begins one hour later in the morning and gets home almost two hours later than he did last year.  This means two sets of wake up times and morning routines for our family, and we are all learning this new schedule together.  There have also been several snafus in our school district's transportation (due to a shortage of bus drivers and a bridge under construction) which meant lots of kinks the first week of school for people.  Luckily, we were mostly unscathed and have come up with a system that seems to work for our family re: getting to/from school.  

We were absolutely delighted when we found out the week before school started that Leah has the same 3rd grade teacher that Luke had.  We LOVE Mrs. Price, and this is the first time that my kids have had the same teacher.  I couldn't be happier for this Peanut, who has her best friend in her class for the third year in a row.  Everything about Leah starting 3rd grade is comfortable and familiar, and it's just easy peasy and happy:


Mom Confession:  I have been dreading the transition to middle school.  There are four elementary schools that feed into our middle school, and all of the 6th graders are in independent mobile units for their core classes (I had to tell Luke to stop calling it a "trailer park").  Due to the challenges associated with navigating that maze, the school's large size, and the fact that we visited all 7 of Luke's teachers, I found Open House last week completely overwhelming and chaotic.  I was a ball of anxiety on Luke's first day of school, and felt like it was the first day of kindergarten again, sending my baby into the great unknown.  Thankfully, this boy thrives in new environments, and has his best friend and several other Oak Ridge buddies in his homeroom and many classes.  He has absolutely loved everything about middle school so far, and is playing the tuba in the band, which thrills him, because "it's the biggest and loudest instrument, Mommy".    

I'm starting to volunteer at the middle school next week, and I know that soon enough, it will have a wonderful place in my heart, too.  I have reminded myself to keep looking forward, and that each season is just as much of a blessing as those past.  In many ways, the ride keeps getting sweeter and sweeter, and there is so much joy in watching him become a young adult... So I'm learning to embrace this change, and am beyond grateful that he's happy and safe.

We're blessed to have kids who LOVE learning, are excited about school starting, and are filled with joy and positivity about the year ahead:


We survived the early wake-ups of the first week of school and celebrated the end of the first week with a local weekend adventure.  We drove to Pilot Mountain for a morning hike and the kids climbed on EVERY rock surface they could find:








They kept asking me to take their picture.  Apparently, all we need is a climbing wall or mountain to have the most enthusiastic subjects for our photos:






It was a gorgeous place, and a great finale to the first week of school.  Best wishes to L&L for a fabulous year ahead!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Thank you for giving me a morning chuckle while reading your post today. I thoroughly enjoyed Luke’s reference to his “Trailer Park” classroom situation at his school. Good luck to the Winterhoff kids this school year!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful start to the school year! Once again, Carrie, you have beautifully expressed all the feelings we moms have when our children leave our midst, even if only for a few hours. Love you! Linda

Anonymous said...

I loved reading all the news about school, the anniversary celebration....and then I got to the terrifying pictures of L&L on those enormous rock structures. How the heck did they even get up so high? My poor heart! Love, Bean