
We interrupt this regularly scheduled blog (of Luke updates, photos, and videos) to bring you a special home improvement edition. 16 1/2 months after having a baby, we finally felt like we could spend a 3-day holiday weekend doing something other than catching up on much needed sleep, traveling, or reveling in our role as new parents. After watching one too many episodes on HGTV, we decided to install a tile back splash behind our stove in the kitchen. How hard could it be, we thought? We asked the "expert" at Lowes if this was a doable weekend project for novices and he assured us that it was... And for all of you waiting for our home improvement horror story, we are going to disappoint you, because actually, the project did go very smoothly. Mark did the entire thing in several hours with no glitches or issues (many thanks to our friends, the Garretts, for loaning us their tile saw and sharing their expertise!). In fact, we were so pleasantly surprised at the relative ease of the project, that we made an impulse decision to paint our downstairs powder room the next day. Additionally, we doubled the size of our vegetable garden in the backyard, and added several new fruit bushes, including blueberries and raspberries. I use the proverbial "we", as Mark did 99% of the actual "labor" during these Labor Day projects, while I played more of a supervisory role of director, producer, and creative consultant. Mark was so proud of the cost-effectiveness of our do-it-yourself projects until I informed him that now I need to buy all new kitchen canisters, decorative knick knacks, dish towels, etc. to "match" our tile, and that new bathroom prints and accessories were also mandatory. I know the girls reading this blog will understand and appreciate this!

The "before" photo of the kitchen prepped and ready for the tile installation.

Laying the first row of tiles- No going back now!

Mark places the last tile!

One of the "After" photos!
We were so tired of the neutral "tan" that the builders painted every room, so we decided on a much softer hue.

Newly painted powder room!
All in all, it was a busy, productive weekend, and when we finally collapsed on the couch last night after putting Luke to bed, we looked forward to a few hours of relaxation before beginning the week. Mark was putting away the last of his tools on his tool bench, we were smug and satisfied with our ability to be "Masters of Our Home" and that's when I heard him call, "Carrie, we have a mouse in our garage." Since then, we have caught not one, but 5 baby mice, with no end in sight. The front page headline of the Greenville Times today read, "Loose, Vicious Animals Frustrate Residents". If we weren't in the midst of The Great Mouse Invasion of 2009, I may find this headline funny. But until all of the mice are caught, the score reads: Mouse Family (1), Winterhoffs (0). Thank goodness for mousetraps!
6 comments:
I love it! Can you come do mine???:) xoxoxoxo
Mark, you are such a good guy....learning new skills, beautifying your already beautiful home, ridding the house of vermin,
and keeping Carrie and Luke happy and safe! Carrie, YOU are such a good girl.....keeping us in touch with your wonderful blogs and making it sound like a lot more fun than it probably was! Love, Mom
Oooooohhhh... TILE!!! We have never been brave enough to tackle this at our house but you made it look easy!! Love, love, love the result! Go Mark!!! Thanks for sharing your Labor Day adventures... I always enjoy home improvement projects. I'll be posting the results of my summer-long organization-o-rama soon!
I am not nervy enough to do this project ("I" meaning asking Roy to do it)---he would gladly do it if I asked but I am chicken. After seeing YOUR project, I have new courage. I will put it on Roy's list of 6027 projects I have planned for him after he retires in 6 months! GREAT JOB, Mark! Hope the mice are gone-they FREAK me out! Love, Gammie Davies
Mark & Carrie you made that look easy. Are you willing to share you insights so that Jef & I could eventually do the floor in the foyer? Love you all!
Mark, you did a beautiful job with the tile and painting. I wish it was as easy as you make it look.
Love and hugs Aunt Candy
Post a Comment