Luke asks questions ALL the time. At first, I marveled at my son’s curiosity and interest in the world around him. What a fun, inquisitive 3 year-old trait this was, and what a wonderful way for me to provide educational opportunities during our daily conversations! But now, the questions are endless, and absolutely exhausting, as I never seem to have the right answer. This is what the first page of Go Dogs Go sounded like tonight:
Mommy: “Big Dog, Little Dog…”
Luke (interrupting): “Mommy, what is Little Dog doing?”
Mommy: “He’s pulling Big Dog.”
Luke: “Where is he pulling Big Dog?”
Mommy: “Maybe they are going to the Dog Party at the end of the book.”
Luke: “No, they are not going there. They are going home.”
Mommy (sighing): “Ok, they are going home.”
Luke: “What is Big Dog riding on, Mommy?”
Mommy: “He’s riding on a special cart with wheels that Little Dog is pulling…”
Luke: “No Mommy, it’s a wheelchair.”
Mommy (taking a deep breath): “Ok, he’s pulling Big Dog’s wheelchair.”
Luke: “Why does his chair have wheels?”
Mommy: “The wheels help Little Dog pull it…”
Luke: "No, Mommy, the wheels make it go. Why is Little Dog pulling Big Dog?”
Mommy, VERY patiently replies: “Because Big Dog is too tired and needs help.”
Luke: “Why is Big Dog so tired?”
Mommy: “Because Little Dog refused to nap for the 3rd day this week, is very grouchy and argumentative when he doesn’t get enough sleep, and never stops asking questions. This makes Big Dog very, very tired.”
Mommy attempts to turn to Page 2…
Luke shuts the book and states: “Mommy, that’s not right. Let’s start at the beginning again. Why is this book called Go Dogs Go?"
Mommy closes her eyes and sighs. It’s going to be a long, long 8 months until Little Dog turns 4…
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh no! Is this what comes after the "why?" phase??? You are such a great and patient Mom!
Dear Big Dog,
This DOES sound exhausting! Make Mark read to Luke until he outgrows this....I remember calling HIM Question Mark at one stage about this age! Love, Bean
This made me laugh out loud!!! SO typical of kids! Luke is so adorable and is lucky to have such a patient and loving mom! This, too, shall pass! Love, Gammie Davies
I was just telling my mom that I had to tell Michaela yesterday that she does NOT have ALL THE ANSWERS and I DO NOT have to explain every single move I make to everyone in the house. I think I have a blog post coming up about that. It's all along the same lines of Luke's questions... again, we seem to be living the same life with very, very similar kids. :)
Post a Comment